The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® charges an annual fee of $450. Do you think this card is worth that much? Well, it can be in certain situations. Let’s talk about the credit card and who benefits from having it in their wallet.
In This Post
Credit Cards That Earn AAdvantage Miles
American Airlines offers multiple credit cards through Citibank and Barclays for both consumers and small businesses. Each credit card has its pluses and minuses.
Citibank has the following American Airlines credit cards:
- AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
And Barclays offers a personal and business version:
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® World Elite Business Mastercard®
I also have the Barclays Aviator Silver (upgraded from Red; cannot apply directly) and the Citi AAdvantage Platinum cards. The Citi card has been in my wallet for a couple of years now, so I can safely apply for another American Airlines card and qualify for the sign-up bonus.
Please use my referral link when you’re ready to apply for the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card.
I really want to have access to the Admirals Club lounge at the Nashville airport, so I recently applied for the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card.
Citi AAdvantage Executive Credit Card Review
When I applied for the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card in December 2018, I was able to earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles after spending $5,000 within three months. I timed my application with some larger bills that were due, like my auto insurance and property taxes.
The current offer for the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card is 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 within three months.
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Executive Credit Card
Besides the sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles, there are some additional perks to the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card. These benefits can save you money and improve your travel experience.
- Priority boarding with Group 4 (same as AAdvantage Gold members).
- Free checked bag for you and up to 8 friends and family on the same itinerary.
- Priority check-in at the airport.
- Priority airport screening (where available). I use CLEAR to skip the lines, which isn’t a huge benefit to me. Use my referral link to try CLEAR free for two months.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee reimbursement up to $100 every five years.
- Save 25% on food and beverages bought in-flight with your Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card.
- Earn 10,000 Loyalty Points each year you spend $40,000 on the card.
- Receive 2x miles when you use the credit card on eligible American Airlines purchases.
- Earn 1x mile on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Add up to 10 authorized users at no charge. The Chase Sapphire Reserve charges $75 per authorized user, while the American Express Platinum Card charges $175.
The biggest benefit to me is having access to the American Airlines Admirals Club lounges when I travel.
How To Access The American Airlines Admirals Club
I recently moved from Southern California to Nashville and am still learning the nuances of my local airport. One thing I’ve learned is that my Amex Platinum and Priority Pass memberships don’t work here.
There are only two airport lounges at BNA – the American Airlines Admirals Club and the Delta SkyClub. You can only access the Delta SkyClub when flying on Delta or one of its partners, so the Admirals Club is the more flexible option.
You can enter the Admirals Club for free if you:
- Have American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Platinum status and travel on a qualifying international flight.
- Have oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status and are flying on an American or oneworld partner flight (regardless of class).
- Are flying First or Business on a qualifying international or transcontinental flight.
- Are U.S. military personnel traveling in uniform traveling on a same-day flight operated by American Airlines.
If you don’t qualify to enter for free based on the above, you’ll have to pay to enter the Admirals Club lounge. There are three main ways to pay to enter the American Airlines Admirals Club Lounges:
- Annual Membership – up to $550 per year per person or $925 for a household.
- Day Passes – $59 each per person per day
- Citi AAdvantage Executive Card – $450 annual fee
How Many Locations Does The Admirals Club Have?
The American Airlines Admirals Club has more than 50 clubs worldwide. They are located in cities such as:
- Mexico City
- Washington DC
There are also more than 60 partner lounges that Admirals Club members and primary cardholders of the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit cards can access in cities, such as:
- Hong Kong
Click here for a complete list of the Admirals Club lounges and partner lounges.
The Bald Thoughts
The most economical way to enter the American Airlines Admirals Club lounges is with the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card. The $450 annual is up to $100 cheaper than a single Admirals Club membership. Plus, you can bring your spouse and children or two guests into the lounge at no charge.
The savings increase considerably if you want to give access to your spouse, friends, or co-workers so they can enter the Admirals Club lounge without you. Cardholders can add up to 10 authorized users at no charge. And each authorized user can enter the Admirals Club lounge with their own family or guests.
Because I’m now located in Nashville, it makes total sense for me to have the Citi AAdvantage Executive credit card. This way, I can always access the American Airlines Admirals Club lounge whenever I fly on American or one of its oneworld partners. Please use my referral link if you’d like to apply.
Does this credit card make sense for your wallet? What is your favorite Admirals Club lounge? Please let us know in the comment section below.
Thinking of getting a new credit card?
To see the best credit card offers available, go to our credit card marketplace to find your next card.