I received an ominous email from Marriott on Friday. The message states that, if you do not have a qualifying activity within the last 24 months, you will forfeit ALL of your points!
When does this take effect?
Luckily, Marriott is giving us notice this time. This policy takes effect on February 1, 2016.
Reading through the details, it seems as though keeping your account alive should be fairly easy, even if it means buying a minimum quantity of points.
I recommend using AwardWallet to keep track of your points to ensure you know when points will expire so you don’t lose them!
Here is the email I received with all the details.
You’re a valued member, so we want you to know about some upcoming changes to the Marriott Rewards® program.
Starting February 1, 2016, members who do not have qualifying activity in the prior 24 months will forfeit all accumulated points. If you have not engaged in qualifying activity since January 31, 2014 you have until January 31, 2016 to do so before the policy is enforced.
Some examples of qualifying activity to maintain active status in the Marriott Rewards program include:
- Make a paid (or redemption) stay at any of our 3,800+ participating hotels worldwide
- Make a purchase using a Marriott Rewards credit card
- Earn points with one of our program partners
- Purchase points
- Hold a qualifying meeting or event, including earning points through the Rewarding Events Program
The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Marriott Rewards program:
- Gifting or transferring points
- Receiving points as a gift or transfer
- Earning points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints
For full details and our updated terms, please visit MarriottRewards.com/PointsPolicy.