This post may contain affiliate links that pay us when you click on them.
My wife just finished her MBA after 2 1/2 years of school. She worked so hard and sacrificed so much free time, that I wanted to make sure we celebrated by taking a little trip. Southwest Airlines recently started international service to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Hyatt recently opened a couple of all-inclusive resorts, so this made for a perfect vacation getaway.
[This post includes some affiliate links which do not affect the price you pay or the offer you receive. Thank you for supporting BaldThoughts.com]
- Trip Details
- Booking the flights
- Current Fares
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos All-Inclusive
- Room Options
- Welcome email from concierge
- Current Hyatt Promotions
- Flight and 4 day all-inclusive weekend in Cabo for $86 a person
- Where to stay in Cabo – Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
- So many food options at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
- Excursions while in Cabo San Lucas
- Should you get travel insurance while in Mexico?
- Attending timeshare presentations to get free stuff
Booking the flights
Southwest Airlines bought AirTran a couple of years ago. Southwest has been slowly integrating AirTran’s routes into their network, but effective July 1, 2014 Southwest is now flying the Caribbean routes and effective August 10, the Mexico routes.
Southwest launched a fare sale in coordination with these new routes.
I was able to book my flight for 11,400 points + $85.48 in taxes. Because we have the Southwest Companion Pass, my wife will fly without using any points, but we still need to pay the $86 in taxes.
If I had paid cash for this ticket, it would have been $315… so I saved $229 by using my Southwest points to book my ticket.
I checked Southwest and found the current fares can be had for as little as 6,650 points + $29 in taxes from Orange County, CA to Cabo, Mexico and…
…as little as 6,650 points + $61 in taxes on the return flight. So, even though the initial promotion is over, you can still fly round-trip for 13,300 points + $90 in taxes in the month of September from Orange County to Cabo.
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos (affiliate link) is located at Paseo Malecón Sn Lote 5, Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, 23405, which is about a 30 minute ride from the airport. Anna and I became familiar with this property when a friend of ours got married there in May 2013. At the time, it was called the Barcelo, but it was turned into a Hyatt later that summer. We stayed a few properties down at the Diamond Resorts Cabo Azul timeshare that we own.
After visiting for the wedding, we really wanted to check out the all-inclusive resort and were very happy to see that it is now a Hyatt so we can use points to stay there! We booked a Ziva Junior Suite with 20,000 points per night. Since we’re staying for 3 nights, that is 60,000 Hyatt points.
To top off our account so we could make the reservation, we transferred points from our Chase Ultimate Rewards account. It was a very simple online process, then made the call to Hyatt to book the room. Because this property is all-inclusive, they even charge for children 3 years old and up, although at a reduced rate.
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos All-Inclusive
The Hyatt all-inclusive plan includes:
- Luxurious accommodations featuring the latest amenities, many with ocean views
- Fine dining options at à la carté and gourmet buffet restaurants as well as room service
- Top-notch entertainment featuring live music and performances
- Unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks at lounges and bars
- Unique daily and nightly activities
- Fitness Center, spectacular pools, relaxing shade shelters and a kid’s water feature play area
- The Club Premium option for a more distinctive experience
- Family friendly accommodations and activities
- Basic Wi-Fi Internet Access
- Dramatic destination with many adventure opportunities
- Impeccable service
- All resort taxes and gratuities
If you want to pay to upgrade, you can do the Club Premium Plan. Enjoy an even more exceptional and distinctive experience through the worldly, exclusive services, amenities and facilities offered in the Premium Plan Option, a higher standard of luxury. Includes the standard all inclusive package amenities and services plus:
- Private check in & check out in an exclusive Premium Level area
- Personalized concierge services
- Best suite views in our exclusive Premium Level area
- Petit Fours and bottle of domestic sparkling wine
- VIP in-suite refreshment center
- In-suite amenities and pool towels
- Exclusive Premium Level Lounge featuring imported premium drinks, appetizers and continental breakfast, table games, books, newspaper, Wi-Fi (available from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.)
- Premium brand liquors
- Complimentary local calls and Wi-Fi
- 20% off on Spa and Salon services
- Pillow menu
- Express laundry service with regular charge
- Some restrictions may apply
When looking online at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos (affiliate link), there were many options if you were paying cash to book your room. Rooms start at $282 + taxes per night.
We booked a garden room because we figure we won’t be in the room that much since the hotel offers so many great things to do and explore. We figured it wasn’t worth the extra cost in cash or points.
Welcome email from concierge
Since our trip is over Labor Day weekend, I received an email earlier this week from the concierge at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos (affiliate link) to make final arrangements for our room and plan our perfect stay.
We had options to book excursions, make dinner reservations at the property’s restaurants, book transportation to and from the airport, and make any special requests.
Current Hyatt Promotions
If you’re looking to book a Hyatt vacation, here are some great promotions that I’ve received…
Hyatt save on 2 nights or more
Stay more, save more with Hyatt hotels this Season! Save 20% off stays of 2 nights or more and enjoy 25% and 30% off stays of 3 nights or more at participating Hyatt hotel locations. Book by September 4, 2014. (affiliate link)
Hyatt AAA Savings
AAA members swim in savings at Hyatt hotels this summer. Book the Signature Bed & Breakfast Package at participating locations in North America and receive 10% off your stay! Use code AAABNB. Book by September 4, 2014. (affiliate link)
Hyatt Place Orlando
Book your stay at Hyatt Place Orlando Airport, Hyatt Place Orlando Convention Center, or Hyatt Place Orlando Universal for trips between July 1, 2014 and September 30, 2014 and receive a $25 food and beverage credit including alcohol. Book by September 30, 2014. (affiliate link)
Hyatt Advance Purchase Rate in Europe, Africe, the Middle East and Southwest Asia
Take advantage of our Advance Purchase Rate and save up to 20% off the Hyatt Daily Rate on your stay when you book up to 30 days in advance at participating Hyatt hotels in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Southwest Asia. (affiliate link)
Hyatt in Paris
Hyatt Hotels in Paris are situated right in the heart of the City of Lights, only a few minutes from mythical landmarks such as the Champs Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, and more. Art lovers will enjoy proximity with the Louvre Museum and the Grand Palais, while enjoying art collections in their own hotel. Make the most of what Paris has to offer, and book your stay at a Hyatt Hotel today. (affiliate link)
Hyatt Regency Family Destination
Hyatt Regency resorts are a one-stop, fun-for-all destination for families. And now, we are delighted to be the first-ever hotel brand to earn the Parent Tested Parent Approved Seal of Approval for our resort experiences! With 35 resorts worldwide, you’re sure to discover a destination for everyone to enjoy. Book your dream Hyatt Regency resort getaway today and get the best price guaranteed at Hyatt.com. (affiliate link)
Best Rate Guarantee
Want the best rates available on Hyatt rooms? Book online and get the guaranteed best rate at any Hyatt worldwide. (affiliate link)
Join the BaldThoughts.com newsletter to stay up-to-date with the latest news, specials, promo codes, and interesting stories about personal finance.