This page may contain affiliates links from our advertising partners. We appreciate it when you support BaldThoughts by using our links when visiting our partners.
One of the main reasons I switched from the American Express Surpass Hilton to the Citibank Hilton Reserve is the annual free night you receive when you spend $10,000 in a calendar year. Here are the 3 simple steps to take to check your status towards earning the free night.
Citibank Hilton HHonors Reserve card benefits
The Citibank Hilton HHonors Reserve card offers some great benefits which make it worthwhile to pay the $95 annual fee instead of the no-fee version.
- Two free weekend nights as a sign-up bonus after meeting minimum spend
- Earn Hilton HHonors Gold status for as long as you’re a cardholder
- Upgrade to Hilton HHonors Diamond status with $40,000 in spend per calendar year
- 5th night free on stays of 5 nights or longer
- Anniversary bonus of one weekend night after you spend $10,000 each year
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent with Hilton
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent on airline and car rental purchases
- Earn 3 points per $1 for all other purchases
If you don’t already have the Citibank Hilton HHonors Reserve Visa, please use our referral link when you apply.
Rewards Credit Cards
- Earn rewards with your everyday spend, and get a little closer to your next vacation.
- Use rewards to book hotels, air travel, gift cards, or to cover travel expenses like Uber.
- Loyalty pays off — earn double rewards when you use your card to book a trip with your favorite hotel or airline.
- Enjoy additional travel perks like travel insurance, waived foreign transaction fees, and airport lounge access.
- Terms vary by partner offer. Please see each bank’s application for terms and conditions.
Hilton free weekend night anniversary bonus
The main reason I switched from the American Express Hilton HHonors Surpass card to the Citibank Hilton HHonors Reserve is the free annual night after spending $10,000. The majority of the other benefits are the same, so it makes sense to earn a free night for the extra $20 ($95 vs. $75) you pay in annual fee.
Anna and I will be using our anniversary bonus weekend night at the Waldorf Astoria La Quinta Resort & Club for a little romantic getaway while Grandma watches Timmy and Scarlett for us. Rooms at this Waldorf property usually run $199+ (or 50,000 Hilton HHonors points) depending on the time of year.
Since it’s in the desert, summer months are the lowest price, while winter prices and weekends when there are golf tournaments are more expensive. The good thing is that rooms are 50,000 Hilton HHonors points in both the summer and winter!
We’re booked into a Deluxe Casita, but with my Hilton HHonors Diamond status, I expect that we’ll be upgraded. What’s really cool is the “unlimited golf” add-on that’s available, because there are some amazing golf courses nearby!
How to check status Citibank Hilton Reserve free night status
Most of us have better things to do than to track how much we spend on each specific card. Luckily, Citibank offers an easy tool to check your status. Here are the 3 simple steps to see if you’ve earned your free weekend night.
Step 1 – Log into your Citibank account
Obviously, you need to log into your Citibank account profile that has the Hilton HHonors Reserve account.
Step 2 – Click on “View Your Rewards Summary”
Now that you’ve logged into your account, click on “View Your Rewards Summary” to be brought to the next screen that shows details of your card.
Step 3 – Scroll down to view your status towards a free night
On this same page, you will find many details about your card, including your status towards meeting the $10,000 spend towards earning a free weekend night.
As you can see, I have met the $10,000 spend requirement towards earning a free weekend night at almost any Hilton property worldwide.
Pro Tip: Take note that the $10,000 annual spend is based on your annual fee date, while the $40,000 annual spend for Diamond status is based on calendar year. You must remain a cardmember to receive your free weekend night when it posts.
Where can you use the Citi Hilton Reserve free weekend night?
You may redeem the free weekend night at almost any Hilton property around the world. There are a few exclusions – 10 all-inclusives, 30 “distinctive” properties (mostly HGVC timeshare locations), and all Hampton Inn properties in China. For the complete list, go to HHonors.com/weekendcertificate.
The fine print from Citibank about the free weekend night:
- Weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night standard accommodation, double occupancy, subject to availability, at properties in the Hilton Portfolio, excluding those listed at HHonors.com/weekendcertificate.
- The weekend night certificate applies only to room rate and corresponding taxes, and does not apply to any applicable gratuities, resort fees or incidental charges.
- Weekend night certificate is valid for twelve (12) months after the date of issuance, as noted on the certificate.
- You must follow all terms stated on the certificate when redeeming or the certificate may not be honored.
- Purchases made using additional cards on the primary cardmember’s account will count toward the primary cardmember’s purchase requirements; however, additional cardholders are not eligible to earn a certificate.
- Your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card account must be open and current at the time the certificate is issued.
- Your account needs to remain open for at least one billing period after your Annual Fee Date.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks to receive your certificate via email. If you do not have an email registered with HHonors, you must call 1-800-HHonors to receive and redeem your certificate.
The Bottom Line
I believe that the benefits of the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve are worth the upgrade from the basic no-fee Citi Hilton HHonors card and the $20 extra you’ll pay annually versus the American Express Hilton Surpass. The most notable benefit is the free weekend night certificate when you spend $10,000 or more each year based on the date your annual fee hits.
Which Hilton property would you use the Hilton free weekend night at?
The opinions expressed here are the author's alone and have not been reviewed or endorsed by any company or third-party, unless clearly stated otherwise. The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the advertiser. It is not the advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.